Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Jim Carrey

If there's one thing I've noticed about comedians, or people who seem to be very funny, is that they all have sad stories behind their masks of a funny face. They seem to have come out of a thick lonely shell while some are still trapped in their own miserable web spun by that big spider called existence.
I'm not saying that it holds true to all those who have been gifted with the Divine spark. Unless someone has developed a vaccine against melancholy, we are all vulnerable to it. Maybe it's more interesting to write about irony. "Although I laugh and I act like a clown, beneath this mask I am wearing a frown" (John Lennon, I'm a loser) catchy isn't it? Or because TV has fed us so much about a comedians' nauseous stomach because Charo Santos has developed too much attachment with the lives of funny people that I've watched her show too often.
Jim Carrey said, On his way to becoming a comedy icon, he once asked " What is it? What is it that drives people to go to Comedy shows? He came up with an answer... "Pain".
Why pain? to be released from it? to avoid it? I used to think that nothing good can come from it. But somehow from the notion of what pain is you derive what relief is. I guess that's what Jim found in his answer.
Grief helps us understand what Joy is, the same way we comprehend silence because of noise. Pain is there to keep us aware that beyond the ache, therein lies
pleasure...
Isn't it ironic?

Rain fell at 5:05 pm

No comments: