Tuesday, April 05, 2011

How to make money out of rules

Yesterday I had the unfortunate chance to experience government service at its finest (okay Im just teasing, I mean worst). As most Filipinos unwillingly have to endure every once in a while I had to visit the MMDA office at Guadalupe. Apparently, I needed to settle some penalties for 2 traffic violations before I can get my driver's licence renewed. I have no complaints about that, after all it was my fault. I chose not to pay the fines on time. So I went there to get done and over with. 


As soon as I got there and old lady selling pens approached me and asked, "Lisensya po Sir?, Plaka?" (License, Plate?) "Ay Sir, di po kayo pwede dyan, nakashort kayo... magpantalon po muna kayo" (Sir, you can't get inside, you're wearing shorts, you have to wear jeans). I walked passed by her, ignoring her completely. I had a big wound on my legs and I can't wear jeans. I explained this to the guard who told me to ask their commanding officer to grant me an exemption so I can transact with them. I went out looking for the their head, went to the security office only to find an empty office. It was lunchtime. I'll give it to them, maybe they were on a break. I went back to the guard on the office and told him there was nobody there. He said I have to look for their "boss". A teenager approached me and said "Bakit boss? kelangan nyo ng pantalon, pantalon po sir?"  (Sir, do you need a pair of jeans?").

I was able to find the head master general his excellency, the Royal Guard who took pity on me when he saw the wound on my right leg. The agony was just about to begin. Their office did not have any AC's. Ceiling fans and the exhaust fan were no match to the scorching heat of the sun. An hour and a half after submitting my documents and paying the P30 clearance fee, my name was called and was given a number so I can proceed to the next window. I had to wait for another hour for my name to be called so I can make the payment and another hour and a half to get my name cleared of my violation. I guess the word efficient was a word they've never encountered.

There are a couple of things I want to raise. What's wrong with wearing shorts? Why do they need to require applicants to wear jeans before they can transact and enter that rat hole? Was it a call for decency? Are we going to meet the pope to kiss his blessed hand for atonement? I find that rule ridiculous, superficial and discriminatory. I see nothing wrong with wearing shorts or slippers. Where do they think we are? The Vatican?

Second, the staff had to deal with technical difficulties (I noticed that their internet was down as soon as I got in) and they were disorganized. Instead of finding a way to address their trouble, they laughed and talked non-stop. It took an hour before an IT staff to check their internet connection, before they decided to have our papers checked through their other office. 

Can someone also explain what clearance fee and computer fee is for? Does that mean we need to pay them for having them check their computers? or for having our names cleared even after paying the penalty? 

Don't get me wrong, Im not singling out the MMDA. It just so happened that I had to deal with them yesterday. This goes to all government offices in general. Anyone who has tried getting their NBI clearance has been made to endure their long tiresome queue just to get to the first window. (Unless you paid one of the fixers). What's the airport tax for? Why does the NAIA charge it but Singapore Airport doesn't?

Do you know when the MMDA traffic enforcers are most visible? Its around 7 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. I don't think I have to explain why, but for the sake of those who doesn't drive? Its when the color coding rule is in effect.

Rules. What do we do without them?

No comments: