Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The 10 peso change

Have you ever bought something from a convenience store or even a sari-sari store, you take out a P100 bill and the guy at the counter with an irritated tone asks you, "Wala ba kayong barya, Sir?" (Do you have a smaller bill?). It makes you feel bad and you end up feeling sorry as hell because you failed to realize that its your civil duty, yes its your  civil obligation that you got to have barya. %&$%!

So the other night I came out with a bag of 10 peso coins from our piggy bank that we saved for our son and I wanted to have it changed for P100, or  a P500 bill. I was thinking to my head this is going to be easy because most of the store owners  would really look at you with a flaming glare if you buy small stuffs with a bigger bill. I thought I was doing them a favor so I was surprised when a store told me. "Di namin kailangan ng barya" (We don't need your coins, we have lots of it).

Perflexed and stunned, I went home cursing.

I guess this is classic humanity, that's how people are. You got to have something they will benefit from. I won't do you any favor as you aren't doing me any. I can't be kind without expecting anything in return. Maybe I am over reacting and passing judgment for a mere 10 peso coin but then again its just a small picture of the bigger canvas.

Sad.

No comments: